Make sure that you are growing your vegetables in a squeaky clean environment.
It is quite apparent why cleanliness is essential in your hydroponic system. You wouldn’t want to be harvesting produce that isn’t clean. Having a dirty and clogged hydroponic system will also affect the health and growth of your plants. If you do not sanitize and sterilize, the chances of your plants getting fungal and disease pathogens rise. Having that said, here are some easy and straightforward cleaning tips for the beginner hydroponic grower.
Set aside the plants.
Before you sterilize your hydroponic system, make sure the remove your plants first. Place them in separate pots in the meantime, preferably with the same medium, nutrients, and PH levels. Otherwise, your plants might go into shock when taken out of their current growing environment. Do remove dead leaves or plants if there are any.
Next is to clean the reservoir and parts of your hydroponic system. You will need a cleaning agent to flush the system to kill all microbial life which may include fungi or bacteria that can cause disease in your crops. There are many cleaning solutions available online or at your local shop. You can go with food grade bleach and food-grade hydrogen peroxide to flush your system. However, if you are hesitant about these solutions, you can go organic and opt to use vinegar. Afterward, rinse the system out with water by circulating filtered water through it for at least two 15-minute cycles to thoroughly wash away the vinegar or cleaning agent.
Now that you’ve finished sterilizing, it’s now time to bring your plants back to their home. Make sure to prepare the right grow medium, nutrients, and PH levels like it has been before the cleaning. Regularly check the plants for about a couple days in case some of them show signs of stress.
Once you’re done replanting and activating your system, check your grow area for spills and trash. Look out for dust on the surface of your LED grow lights. Sweep away all the dead plant material you removed from the systems, as well as all the other messes and dirt on the floor. Make sure the surrounding environment is squeaky clean.
As for the cleaning frequency, a monthly routine will do. Although, this still depends on your plant’s growth cycles. Need a new hydroponic system for your urban garden? Check out ChampionLED.com and pick out the system with the perfect features that work for you!
Get the most out of your hydroponic plants.
Hydroponics is one of the best ways to grow plants indoors because it has so many benefits. You get to grow basically any kind of plant with less mess and harvesting becomes much easier. But as with any indoor gardening method, there are some hacks that will allow you to maximize your yields. Of course, the results will still depend on the type of plant you plan to grow, the number, and resources, but there are general tips that you can follow. And without further ado, here are five ways to maximize your hydroponic yields:
1. The inside of your grow room or grow tent should have reflective sheeting. Gorilla Grow Tents, for example, use diamond reflective technology that allows the light to get distributed evenly to all your plants. This allows the space to maintain the right temperature as well. With the right climate, plants tend to grow a lot faster.
2. Pick the best LED grow lights that are perfect for the size and number of your hydroponic garden. Make sure that the lighting units have adjustable spectrums for both the vegetative and flowering stages. LEDs are highly recommended because they emit less heat and are energy-efficient.
3. Use an air pump and air stones to make sure that the nutrients of your plants and oxygenation of your reservoir are done correctly. Most hydroponic systems already come with these so it shouldn’t be a problem. Some brands offer durable pumps that run quietly but are extremely powerful.
4. Get an automatic pH dosing pump to maintain the pH levels. This will also make sure that the most essential nutrients will reach your plants.
5. Don’t forget to give your plants the right nutrients. As for storing them, keep them in a dry, dark space to avoid degradation. Do not store them in places where they can be exposed to sunlight!
Need to buy a new hydroponic system for your growing indoor garden? Check out ChampionLED.com and choose from a variety of brands and other indoor gardening tools.
Get to know how hydroponics work and the benefits that come with it.
Hydroponics seems to be an intimidating term, especially to people who are just new to indoor gardening. However, this method of growing isn’t too technical nor is it too complicated. It is actually a faster and easier way of growing fresh food in the comfort of your home compared to traditional methods. If you are interested to know more about this growing method, then you’re in luck. This week, we’ll turn the spotlight on hydroponics and the benefits of growing plants with this method.
What is hydroponics?
According to Merriam Webster, hydroponics is the growing of plants in nutrient solutions with or without an inert medium to provide mechanical support. It began as a scientific study method focusing on plant nutrition mechanisms. Instead of having soil, the plants’ roots hang in water with a mix of dissolved nutrients. Nutrients get absorbed directly by the roots, which shortens the growth cycle of plants. In simpler terms, the nutrients are taking the shortcut to get to your plants faster.
What are the advantages of growing hydroponically?
The obvious advantage is reduced labor costs as there is no need for soil. That is why hydroponics is one of the cleanest and easiest ways of growing plants indoors. And if that doesn’t convince you to try growing hydroponically, here are the other benefits:
- You can grow basically any plant with this growing method.
- You get to save water because it gets recycled through the system.
- Your fully-controlled hydroponic system is pollution-free.
- Plants are healthy and produce fuller and higher yields.
- Plants are easier to harvest.
- Plants grow relatively faster, especially with the usage of the best LED grow lights.
- Insects and other pests are easy to get rid of, as well as the common plant diseases.
- No hassle of removing weeds.
- Hydroponic systems are portable and space-saving; their compact designs are perfect for homes with small spaces
- No need to worry about unpredictable weather such as dry spells, storms, or early frosts. That also means there is no seasonality with growing any type of plant.
Need a hydroponic system or growth lights for your indoor garden? Shop at ChampionLED.com!