Get to know how hydroponics work and the benefits that come with it.
Hydroponics seems to be an intimidating term, especially to people who are just new to indoor gardening. However, this method of growing isn’t too technical nor is it too complicated. It is actually a faster and easier way of growing fresh food in the comfort of your home compared to traditional methods. If you are interested to know more about this growing method, then you’re in luck. This week, we’ll turn the spotlight on hydroponics and the benefits of growing plants with this method.
What is hydroponics?
According to Merriam Webster, hydroponics is the growing of plants in nutrient solutions with or without an inert medium to provide mechanical support. It began as a scientific study method focusing on plant nutrition mechanisms. Instead of having soil, the plants’ roots hang in water with a mix of dissolved nutrients. Nutrients get absorbed directly by the roots, which shortens the growth cycle of plants. In simpler terms, the nutrients are taking the shortcut to get to your plants faster.
What are the advantages of growing hydroponically?
The obvious advantage is reduced labor costs as there is no need for soil. That is why hydroponics is one of the cleanest and easiest ways of growing plants indoors. And if that doesn’t convince you to try growing hydroponically, here are the other benefits:
- You can grow basically any plant with this growing method.
- You get to save water because it gets recycled through the system.
- Your fully-controlled hydroponic system is pollution-free.
- Plants are healthy and produce fuller and higher yields.
- Plants are easier to harvest.
- Plants grow relatively faster, especially with the usage of the best LED grow lights.
- Insects and other pests are easy to get rid of, as well as the common plant diseases.
- No hassle of removing weeds.
- Hydroponic systems are portable and space-saving; their compact designs are perfect for homes with small spaces
- No need to worry about unpredictable weather such as dry spells, storms, or early frosts. That also means there is no seasonality with growing any type of plant.
Need a hydroponic system or growth lights for your indoor garden? Shop at ChampionLED.com!